Wednesday, August 27, 2008

More updates on the f1 project

--ArodZ--


Well, my work timetable has been defined for the rest of the quarter and I will have to finish one project every week to stay on track. This is the second milestone for the garage project and it's just presenting two more medium props. If the I stay on track, the whole garage should be modeled and textured by the end of the week, but I probably won't post the final renders until week 11 when I have to present it. In the meanwhile, enjoy. Let me know what you think!






--ArodZ--

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Adv. Material and Lighting

--ArodZ--

This is my midterm for Advanced Material and Lighting, I had to create three props that were related to each other. Each one of the props has 3 textures (1024 x 1024 pixels). These are the final layout sheets. I liked how the props turned out although the textures did take a lot of time.
Let me know what you think. Enjoy!




--ArodZ--

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mario Level Design

--ArodZ--

After 2 years in college, I finally got the oportunity to finally apply my 3D skills in a game. This level was all created using the Unreal 3 Editor, this is the same engine that was used to make games like, Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War, or Bioshock. It is a very powerful engine and I'm barely learning how to use it.

This small level is my midterm for my Level Design class, in which we needed to create a level where the player could learn how to use the jump boots. Throughout the level you will notice that there is a very strong emphasis on the jumping mechanics of the game.

For this project I went the extra mile, and learnt a bit of Kismet, which is the programing language of the Unreal 3 Engine. I used this little bit of programming, to change the perspective of the camera, since it's generally a first person game. I also added a life system, wher the player gets 3 lives to complete the level or he gets a game over screen, and has to start again. I also added three coins to the level, I will add more if I come back to this project, but for now it's just a test.

I also added some triggers to move the pipes and the flags at the end, as well as learning a bit of animation inside the engine to move the blocks and the flag. And of course some small sound to complete experience and the mario theme.

In the video, you'll see me going through my level, play testing it inside the editor. I will demostrate how the health system works (by killing myself repeatedly..:S). You'll be able to see and listen how the coins get picked up, as well as the spawining point of the player. I will demostrate the jumping mechanics of the game, and some of the obstacle the player has to face. You will also notice a change of music when the player changes areas, and also at the end of the level.

It is very simple, although it took me 4 days to complete it. But I'm sure I will have a much more in depth project for my final project since I'll have 6 weeks to work on it, and not 4 days..:S.

Anywyas, let me know if you have more ideas of what you would like to see in a Mario themed level.Enjoy!

(I apologize in advance for the quality (or lack of quality) of the video..thanks.)


video


--ArodZ--

F1 Garage midterm

--ArodZ--

So, after I found out that this project wasn't due as midterm, but as final, I decided to take it a bit slower and work in other projects that I was following behind in. Although that doesn't mean I stopped working on this project; here's the fancy pages I'm going to submit as midterm on tuesday, which are really just template to show off your work and how it's done. I picked four of my favorite props and used them in the template.Let me now what you think. Enjoy.

--ArodZ--

Friday, August 1, 2008

Character Rigging

--ArodZ--


This is going to be my project for this quarter for character rigging. We have to rig one of our own characters so we can animate it. I decided to create a new model, to animate. It's the first military like character I make. It's not finished but the model is not due till week 5. You can see the poly count on the screen, I'm trying to keep it under 10,000 tris, and have the same quality as a character from Gears of War, which were just above 11,000 tris. That's a very quick conept drawing I made, it's obviously not finished, but it gives me an idea of where I'm heading. Enjoy.






--ArodZ--

Greek Garbage Can Thing...

This was another exercise I had to do for my 3d Environments class that I actually spent quite some time with. They gave us one picture of this greek garbage can or dumpster thing, and we had to replicate it with a low poly model for a game. The whole model is 324 tris, and has three 512 textures (specular, normal and diffuse).

Let me know what you think haha (to my email i guess, you guys can't write here hehe).